Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pregnancy...Some Thoughts

I am a bit upset and need to vent this way before the tears start rolling.

At my 27th week OB appointment the nurse practitioner who examined me was concerned by my uterus measurement. She said that I was measuring 32 weeks instead of 27. As a result, she sent me for an ultrasound. The ultrasound results correlated with her concerns and the baby was measuring 3 pounds 13 ounces, or in the 97th percentile. Another concern they found was extra amniotic fluid.

When I went back to my 29th week OB appointment, the OB I saw read the ultrasound results and wanted my sugar levels rechecked again. I passed the 3 hour glucose test and so she ordered another blood test to be taken, one where I would fast in the morning, go to the lab, eat breakfast, and then return 2 hours after breakfast for a second blood test. It sounds easy enough.

Well, today was a perfect day for me to go out and do the blood test. I would wake the girls up, get to the lab by 7:30am, go to Chick-Fil-A for their free breakfast and play date, and then return after a nice morning of play with the girls.

Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way.

I did wake the girls up and we did get to the lab by 7:45am. However, since the girls were awoken from their sleep and then hadn't had breakfast, they were really cranky at the lab. It was difficult keeping them settled for the 10 minutes we were there. When I heard my name called I was relieved to know it was my turn...It wasn't my turn. The OB forgot to write the diagnostic code on the script, they called the OB office for the code, but they were not open yet, and they could not draw my blood. I need to return to the lab. Tears almost started rolling right there at the lab. It was such an inconvenience getting the girls up just for a quick blood draw and they couldn't even do it. I was not looking forward to going through that another time.

I tried not to let the situation get to me, especially while we were at Chick-Fil-A, and thought I'd get everything straightened out afterwards. I called the OB office hoping they'd be able to give me the code over the phone, but the nurse couldn't. She suggested the lab call the office and I told her that the time I need to be at the lab is the time they're not open. I was hoping that if I explained that she'd then give me the code. To no avail, she was not going to give me the code over the phone. I now need to take an extra trip to the doctor's office and this is where I am really upset.

The next available time I can do this blood test is Thursday morning, but in between that time, I have so many other appointments. It's hard enough squeezing in a short grocery run...The doctor's office is not even on the way to any of the places that I need to go and it's a 20 to 25 minutes drive there and back. That's a whole hour just to get this code that's going to be written on the script, which I could have gotten over the phone and wrote it on the script myself.

The hardest part about all this is trying to keep a good attitude about the whole situation. I really cannot think of anything positive about it and that's what's making me want to cry the most. All I can think of is the challenge of juggling everything around so that I can make that extra trip to the OB's office. It would be easy if I could do everything by myself, but I always have 2 little girls by my side. You can't just pick up and go with 2 little ones. It takes planning to go anywhere. A 1 hour run for a single person can end up to be 3 hours for a mom with 2 little ones...Where's that time going to come from?

Lord, God, help me...Now, the tears are rolling...


Barefootsintheburbs said...

I can understand your frustration. The only thing I can think is that God's timing is always perfect. Always. Take a breath. Take your time. Treat yourself with something small to reward yourself for doing this extra task.

Trish D said...

I am so sorry that you've had this hassle. Is there any way you can coordinate with a couple friends to possibly drop the kids off when you have appointments? I know it's a huge hassle (when I was pregnant with #2 I only took my son with me to 1 appt. It was a pain to find someone each time, but so much more peaceful - plus I would usually work it out with whoever was watching him to have a bit of extra time so that I could pick up groceries or whatever errand needed run. Of course I then returned the favor whenever possible!) Anyway, I will continue to pray for you - that all will go well with the pregnancy, that you can stay focused on HIM even during these trying times, that the two girls will stay healthy and behave well, and that you'll also have wisdom on the issue of possibly switching practices.

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him" James 1:12

WELCOME to The Art of Making a Home Joyful

Thank you for visiting The Art of Making a Home Joyful. Feel free to browse and leave comments!