Saturday, September 27, 2008
recipe found in http://www.myhomecooking.net/
Note: I recommend going to the actual site because Ms. Elisabeth shows pictures of each step
Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
I teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons shortening
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
Pie Crust Directions:
1. Warm the butter in the microwave until it is soft, but not melted.
2. Mix in a large bowl:
...2 cups all-purpose flour
...1 teaspoon salt
...1 tablespoon sugar
3. Then cut in using the dough blender:
...6 tablespoons butter
...6 tablespoons shortening
...6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
4. Wrap your pie crust in plastic wrap. Then place in refrigerator for 20 or more minutes, while you make the pie filling.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
5 Tart Peeled Apples
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
Pie Filling Directions:
1. Peel and slice your apples.
2. Soak them in water with a tablespoon of lemon juice.
3. Mix in large mixing bowl:
...1 cup sugar
...2 tablespoons flour
...1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
...1/4 teaspoon salt
...1 tablespoon vinegar
4. Now, drain the water off of the apples and mix them with the spices.
5. Now that you have finished the filling, it is time to assemble your pie.
Pie Assembly Directions:
1. Now that your pie crust has had plenty of time to cool, divide it into two, equal halves.
2. Roll one of the balls of pie crust out until it is around 1/8th of an inch thick.
3. Once you have rolled out the dough, wrap it around the rolling pin and unroll it onto your pie pan.
4. Once you have shaped it to fit the inside of the pan, take a fork and poke holes in the bottom of the crust. This will let the steam out as the pie bakes.
5. Dump all of the apples in the pie. Place about 4 chunks of butter on top of apple filling. This will give the filling rich flavor.
6. Roll out the remaining pie dough and place it on top.
7. Create a pattern around the edge of the pie by using the back of a knife.
1. Cut long strips of tinfoil and place them around the edge of the pie.
2. This will prevent the crust's edge from burning while it bakes. You will want to take the tinfoil off about ten minutes before the pie is done. This way, the apple pie will have a golden brown edge.
3. Bake your pie at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
4. For a glossy effect, brush a small portion of egg white on top of the crust when you remove the tinfoil.